• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How many hours of sleep do you function on?

previouslyhere

Greenlighter
I'm curious to see how many hours the people here on healthy living sleep each night. I'm also curious to see what steps/preparations I can take in my life to help me function off of less sleep. I know exercise is a big one, but what else? I want to cut down my sleep to 4 hours a day if possible...

I sleep anywhere from 6-9 hours a night, with the help of Trazodone. Are you saying you want to only sleep 4 hours a night? Why would you want to do that? Not healthy.

I can function off 5 hours of sleep but, not three nights in a row. Usually I get around 8-7. I don't know why you would only want to sleep 4 hrs. I love sleeping, sometimes I'll wake up just so I can go back to sleep.

I think it would be nice to make this thread into a poll. I can barely function on less than adequate sleep. I NEED my sleep. I used to sleep like 11 hours a night, but now it's more like 7-8. I find taking 5-htp lowers the number down to about 6-7, but I don't take it that often.

It's best to get around 8 hours. I would say the bare minimum is 7 hours. Anything below that and you are riding a slippery slope of functioning at your full capacity. With that being said; many people get 5-6 hours of sleep and just drink a boat load of coffee. Advisable? No. Common? Yes. It's up to you on how you want to treat your body.

Tomer

Last edited:
6-9 Ifind eating right and living an active lifestyle really help zma is also really good for sleep.

I run/workout daily and I generally sleep from 1am to 10am.

Not the best schedule, but it's mine.

Exercise wont help you deal with lack of sleep, as its a drain on the bodies resources that requires sleep to get back. You'll burn out quickly exercising with little sleep.

I can function well on 5 hours but it's not something I do deliberately. I try to make it 7-8 hours of sleep a night to feel good and function well.

Exercise wont help you deal with lack of sleep, as its a drain on the bodies resources that requires sleep to get back. You'll burn out quickly exercising with little sleep.

Of course exercise could improve the quality of the sleep you do get. I guess you'll have to be carefull making sure you dont overdo it, sticking to low volume workouts. It might be a fine line.

6 is the least I can get without constantly noticing I feel like shit and want to crash.

It's difficult to know... I'm a chronic insomniac and haven't been able to sleep without the aid of medication for years (even on meth comedown's!). On 100mg's of Seroquel I usually sleep for 10-12 hours.

I can function on around 5 hours of sleep.

But I just feel "right" if I get my 8 hours.

If i have any less than 5 hours i struggle and not in a good way - ideally i like to have 8 hours. If i can't get 8, i will try to make sure i at least get 6 - i can still function and get through the day ok on 6.

I usually sleep anywhere from 6-10 hours. usually around 6.5-7 on weeknights and anywhere from 6 to 12 on weekends. I do love my sleep. =D

Damn, i wish i could sleep like you guys, I'm a third shifter, I work 10 pm to 6 am, and between doctors appointments and therapy i'm lucky he i have 4 hours time to lay in bed. Falling asleep is even harder as being a recovering alcoholic and junkie kills just about any chance of sleep.

I'm get really tired if I don't get at least 9 hours. Unfortunately, I usually don't get that much, so I'm usually tired during the day.

People who can function on like 5 hours a day are really lucky. I have family members and friends who can do that, but I doubt I ever could. I feel like I'm going to die from exhaustion if I get less than 7 hours sleep.

Less than 5 hours sleep and I will feel like shit all day. More than 7 hours sleep and I will feel like shit all day. 6 seems to be the magic number to feel fantastic all day.